I’ve had a recipe for white chili in my family for a while, but when I began eating a plat-based diet, this is one thing I missed the most. It took me a while to try to veganize it because it has cream, sour cream, and chicken. I was worried that substituting all those ingredients would change it completely. I have never been more wrong! It turned out fantastic!
Vegan While Chili Recipe
3 ounces Butler’s soy curls
2 cups water
1 heaping Tbsp vegetable Better than Bullion
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 7 oz can chopped fire roasted green chilis
14 oz vegetable broth made with Vegetable Better than Bullion
salt to taste (2 teaspoons approx)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 cup brown rice, cooked in vegetable broth
Sour Cream Mixture:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup water (fresh, not the water you soaked the cashews in)
- Cook your brown rice in vegetable broth according to package directions. I use my rice cooker.
- Start by soaking your soy curls in the water and Better than Bullion Vegetable. They should soak 10-15 minutes, so be ready to start chopping and cooking the onion and garlic when you start soaking them.
- In the bottom of a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic in a few tablespoons of the vegetable broth you have the soy curls in. Be careful it doesn’t burn. Cook until the onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Add the beans, chilis, broth, and spices to the onion and garlic.
- Chop up the soy curls and add them to the pot.
- Cook on medium until the mixture is heated through and simmering.
- Meanwhile, made your sour cream mixture by adding all of the sour cream mixture ingredients to a blender.
- Add the “sour cream” and soy milk to the pot. Heat just until warm again, but do not bring it to a boil or cook it long.
- Serve by pouring the chili over the brown rice.